Equinox Celebrates 18 Years as Top DC Restaurant
Take a trip down memory lane with the award-winning restaurant's most iconic dishes and a golf-inspired game.
Washington, DC (May 15, 2017) -- It's throwback time at Equinox Restaurant, an OG of DC's fine dining scene, as it gets ready to celebrate 18 years as one of Washington's most beloved and respected restaurants. To inspire guests to try the most iconic dishes from the restaurant's nearly two decades in business, Equinox is kicking off a fun and interactive 18 "hole" golf game. Each dish corresponds to a "hole" on the "green" and when guests complete all 18 holes they receive a golf-related prize.
"We wanted to do something creative and engaging for our loyal clientele to mark nearly two decades in business," said Chef Todd Gray, Equinox's Executive Chef and co-owner.
The dishes featured in the game highlight Chef Gray's passion for sustainable seafood, Mid-Atlantic cuisine, and innovative interpretations of classic American fare.
"There are not many almost 20-year old restaurants still left in DC, so we take this honor very seriously," said Ellen Kassoff Gray, Equinox's co-owner and the driver behind Equinox's critically acclaimed plant based culinary program. "While we continually innovate and try new things, we never forget our past and where we started," added Kassoff Gray.
So why the golf game? Chef Todd Gray has been an avid golfer since high school and says that if he wasn't a chef, he would have gone pro. This is a nod to two of Chef Gray's passions and a chance for guests to have a bit of fun while dining on dishes cultivated and refined over many years.
A sample of the dishes included in this three month promotion include:
- 1999: Truffled Macaroni & Cheese (Vermont Cheddar, Parmesan, and Black Truffle Reduction & Warm Risotto Fritters with Roasted Tomato Butter and Davon Crest Salad.
- 2000: Mezzaluna of Local Ricotta and Caramelized Onion, Fresh Morels, Truffle Emulsion, and Parmesan Reggiano
- 2001: Crab & Corn Chowder with Opal Basil and House-made Oyster Crackers
- 2002: House Made Egg Fettuccine with Royal Trumpet Mushrooms, Asparagus, and Green Garlic Cream
- 2003: Pan Fried Soft Shell Crab with Pickled Spring Onions, Anchovy Parsley Butter and Wilted Greens
- 2004: Fennel Spiced Outer Banks Tuna with Whole Grain Mustard Sauce, Vidalia Onions, and Potato Mousseline
- 2005: Cream of Carrot-Ginger Soup with Herb Roasted Gulf Shrimp, Maine Mussels, and Wild Ramp Oil
- 2006: Risotto of Spring Sweet Peas, Carrot Brunoise, Pea Green Salad, and Red Wine Sauce
- 2008: Seared Jumbo Sea Scallops with Spring Beans and Pesto Broth ~ Basil Pesto, Little White Beans and Golden Frisee
There will also be a "fairway" lunch special, which includes a “putter” and a “chipper” course for $18.00. When the game wraps up in August, participants are invited to join Equinox for its golf-themed wrap party on the patio featuring a classic 1980s golf movie.
The 18 Hole Golf Game at Equinox kicks off on Thursday May 18th.